Mid Island Audiology takes a personalized approach to treating hearing loss. We work with you individually to understand your hearing loss and what treatment plan would be best for you. Led by a licensed, certified audiologist, we are able to offer a full range of hearing-related services, from hearing testing to hearing aids to hearing protection. We also believe in looking at your hearing health holistically, especially if you are experiencing tinnitus.
Our audiologist, Dr. Recher, is always available to answer our patients' questions and address their needs. If you're looking for someone who truly cares about your hearing and who will get to know you as an individual, give us a call and let us help you get started on the path to better hearing.
- Comprehensive hearing testing: Unlike hearing screenings, comprehensive hearing tests involve much more than putting on headphones in quiet room. Our comprehensive hearing testing tests your ability to hear tones, as well as speech in noise. This allows us to mimic real-world environments and determine the extent your hearing loss. We also examine the structures of your ear, your ears' ability to conduct sound, pressure within your ear canal, and other measures that give us a total picture of your hearing ability.
- Hearing aid fitting: Hearing aids cannot be removed from the box and put in your ears, ready to help you hear better. Instead, they must be custom fit to your ears, based on your anatomy and hearing test results.
- Hearing aid repair: We offer a four-year warranty on all hearing aids. If something goes wrong with your hearing aid or the device breaks, we'll repair it in-office at no charge. If we cannot fix it ourselves, we'll send it to the manufacturer. We may even be able to loan you a pair of hearing aids while you wait.
- Customized hearing protection: We can make custom-fit earplugs for swimmers, musicians, construction workers, or hunters. We also specialize in musician in-ear monitors that provide superior flat-frequency response. Occupational hearing protection is designed to protect your ears from loud impulse noises like gunshots or machinery without muting the softer sounds of the environment like speech or a babbling brook.
- Tinnitus therapy: Tinnitus, also known as ringing or buzzing in your ears, can be disruptive to your life. Tinnitus can be caused by long exposure to loud noise, illnesses, medication, auditory diseases, or other issues that affect the inner ear. Dr. Recher specializes in helping patients manage their tinnitus through holistic treatment.
- Ear wax management: Ear wax is not necessarily a problem, but some people have excess ear wax that can affect how they hear. If this is true for you, we offer an ear wax management program to flush out your ear canal.
- Industrial testing: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires employees in manufacturing facilities to have their hearing periodically tested. We work with these facilities to test employees, educate safety managers on the dangers of prolonged exposure to loud noises, and train facility personnel on OSHA protocols for hearing protection. We also produce custom-fit hearing protection that exceeds the minimum OSHA standards.
Holistic Treatment for Tinnitus
Dr. Recher specializes in helping patients live with tinnitus; he has tinnitus himself and understands what it's like. He has developed a detailed consultation process where he discusses your health history and lifestyle to help you understand why you may be experiencing ringing or buzzing in your ears. If he discovers a possible medical reason for this condition, you may be referred to a physician for a further consultation. If there is no medical reason, he will begin crafting a course of treatment that may include lifestyle changes and hearing aids to provide long-term relief from your symptoms. You may be advised to practice meditation and relaxation or make changes to your eating habits and exercise routines in order to maximize your solutions. Ultimately, the goal is to restore your hearing without the use of any devices.
Complimentary Ear Wax Removal
Dr. Recher offers a complimentary ear flush to every patient that he sees. Your hearing aids will function better, your ears will be cleaner and you will hear better with our gentle, proven ear flush method. Using warm water and gentle pressure, Dr. Recher can effectively rid you of unnecessary ear wax without the dangers of cotton swabs. Many of our patients even describe this as one of their favorite parts of their visit!